Saturday, June 13, 2015

3 - Why is writing better than speaking?

Personally, I prefer to write than to speak. Well from my personal experience, it is better to express yourself by writing it vs. telling it. I have a basis for this opinion. I am a news editor before in our high school’s newspaper named “The courier” I wrote several articles about sports, campus activities, interviews, etc. 

The Courier

For my speaking skills, I joined an inter-school debate and attended a talk about it. Well I admit we lose and did not get any place for that competition but that is fine, besides all we want is to learn and gain some experiences to use in college or in the future. Going back, well I think I enjoyed writing more than speaking because most of the times you can correct some mistakes like misspellings and errors in a document before publishing it. But in let us say public speaking, once you disorganise your thoughts or you had mispronounce a word in your speech, you cannot take it back unlike in writing you can just press backspace.



            Another thing is, most of the people I know in college or people I knew in high school prefer writing what things they want others to understand about them than telling it directly. For example, you have a crush on someone, let us admit it that it is very hard for you to say it to that person that you like him or her. So you will think of other ways like writing it in a letter then send it through a mutual friend of yours and her/him. That is because you are shy and prefer not to look unto his/her reaction if you said it to them.


            But there are also some advantages of speaking that writing does not have. Such as when you are speaking, there is a high possibility that you can convince your audiences on what topic you are trying to convey to them. For example, you are a salesman of a specific product. You cannot convince your market to patronize your product by just writing alone. You need to speak and explain your product to them so they will be convinced.

1 comment:

  1. That's good to hear, Eugene. I too was an editor at our high school newspaper and I can say that you are very good at writing. You should further improve your writing skills and, soon, work on them in order to make a great speech.

    You have a lot of potential in writing AND speaking, Eugene. I'm sure you'll be great at both soon :)

    ReplyDelete