Monday, August 17, 2015

10 - Do I have what it takes to be a Filipino?

“The sun is rising and the wind blows slowly in the land of bagumbayan in manila. It was exactly 7am that time. A man was dressed in a black suit with a black cap standing on a green grassy lawn between two lamp posts. “Fuego” shouted the chief executioner and the bang of the rifles from the fellow Filipino executioner was heard around the bagumbayan.” As I remember what my history teacher in high school exactly detailed how nationalism started in the midst of darkness.

Just like in the line of Carlos P. Romulo’s poem “In my blood runs the immortal seeds of heroes”

I am proud to be Filipino, I fight for what is right and I only serve my country above else. This poem of Carlos P. Romulo is a great resemblance of symbol that Filipinos should be proud and should be inspired wherever they go in other parts of the world. Foreigners may tried to colonialize our country forever, but our ancestors fought with all their strength, all their might and all their heart to fight for what we deserve. Freedom. Struggles may come to challenge our faith for our country; the money, power and endless wealth might try to persuade us. But at the end of the day reflect and then shout with confidence “I am Filipino”.

“These are the seeds that gave life to Lapu-lapu, seeds that drove Diego Silang and Jose Rizal with courage.”

Though it doesn’t really mean that I should fight or kill anyone to be like them, it only means that, if I want to be a true Filipino like them I should have a courage to face daily challenges and help others. Yes, I am proud to be a Filipino.

Just like a boy named Sajid Bulig who saved 4 children in the accident that happened in Bocaue Pagoda Festival in Bulacan.

Just like San Lorenzo Ruiz and San Pedro Calungsod who refused to convert their religion and stood firm in their faith and courage to fight for what they believe in.

Just like Efren Penaflorida, the 2009 CNN Hero of the year for his advocacy to educate Filipino street children through his pushcart. And many more.

These are the perfect example to summarize Carlos O. Romulo’s poem.

I am proud to of who I am. Just like in the poem, I am proud to say that I am a Filipino even if I am outside the country. Even if my skin color is brown not white nor black. Brown. This symbolizes my true identity and my nationality. Why should I be afraid or ashame of? I am proud to say that I am a Filipino, nothing more nothing less!


2 comments:

  1. You were right Mr. Delfin! Because I do also believe that we all have what it takes to be a Filipino! 'Cause Filipino is the best among the rest! Do you agree with me? I hope you do. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make very convincing and/or nationalistic posts Mr. Delfin. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete